- After hearing that Sue’s work waiver was issued last Tuesday (6th) we did some mad running around in Jhb on Wednesday and planned to leave for Bots at 5 on Thursday morning. But owing to an electrical failure at Sue’s mom we couldn’t pack from the planned 4 o’clock, but only when it got light enough. This meant that we only left Jhb at 7.30 right in the middle of peak hour traffic.
- We reached the border just after 12.30 as we had to stop en-route in Midrand to sign final documentation for our furniture to get across the border. It was very hot at the border and we flew through the SA side and were moving quickly through the Bots side, until we had to get Emily (dog) permit only to find the Bots State Vet had gone on lunch. Both Sue and Emily were over-heating as there was no shade, whilst I was being sent all over trying to get to the Vet. I even went to his house. After his lunch the stamping of her permit went quickly, but then had to queue in the line for the compulsory 3rd party insurance. All in all the border took us about an hour and a half.
- With 3 ½ hours to Letlhakane we were under pressure to get here before dark, but with the light fading we drove in. The house was a filthy mess and the yard strewn with rubbish. The first use of one of our toilets saw water skirting unstoppably in all directions. So I had to block the inlet pipe. Plus we had no hot water and the main inlet water pipe was leaking badly. We cleaned one room and brought out our camping gear and on the blow-up mattress we collapsed.
- Friday morning with a cup of coffee in our hands pondering how we were going to get the yard and house sorted, 8 guys arrived to help tidy. So the garden was sorted then and there. And of course one of the guys had a sister that could clean houses. Still no hot water
- Sat morning we broke the back of the house cleaning before we headed to the golf club for drinks and a braai – nice to get out and meet some people. Still no hot water
- Sunday 2 guys from Sue’s work picked us up and took us to the nature reserve and braaied there as well, which was a great day out. Still no hot water
- Monday was now time to start sorting out work, Sue had to go for a medical and I went and purchased airtime for the internet – neither of us could get into the internet and the struggle continued and Sue is still struggling. I got myself up and running and apart from not being able to send e-mails from certain accounts I am doing well.
- Finally today our plumbing is sorted out and we have hot water, we have had a maid for the last 2 days and after buying a fridge we now have cold beers. So everything is coming together.