Into the Bush: Part 7

Sue trying too cool down by spraying herself with water

Sue trying too cool down by spraying herself with water

After an extremely hot afternoon, Sue decided to start getting dinner ready so I decided to help by getting the fire going for her. I reached for a small log that hadn’t turned to ash from last nights fire. A sharp, hell of a pain shot through my fingers.

This small piece of wood was still smouldering 18 hours later and I had burnt 2 fingers and my thumb. Thank goodness we had a well equipped first aid bag and nurse Sue was soon at work.

Tristan took over fire duty and I put my none burnt hand to work, holding a beer. I found that the cold beer can, placed against the burns relieved the pain. The only problem is that the heat of the day and the heat given off by the burn, made the can warm quickly. No problem – I just kept getting more cold beers.

Just before we retired to our tents Sue saw in the sky a “bright star with a feint light halo around it and moving rather quickly”. What could it be, it didn’t look like a comet, satellite or meteorite – bugger the lions maybe aliens were coming tonight.

When we got home we discovered that it was actually the Falcon 9 rocket dumping fuel as it entered its orbit. The Falcon 9 rocket is made by SpaceX, that designs, manufactures and launches advanced rockets and spacecraft.

After a night, during which our blow-up mattress got progressively softer and softer, we woke to an overcast morning with a strong freezing cold wind. A jersey did make it into our bag but the thought of tracksuit pants or a jacket at the time of packing seemed stupid.

Gemsbuck at Sunday's Pan

Gemsbuck at Sunday’s Pan

To get out of the cold we jumped in our vehicle and went for a drive. The animals obviously felt the same way as we did towards the cold wind and were seeking shelter somewhere and we saw very little on our drive to Sunday’s Pan. We did however see two animals we hadn’t seen yet on our trip and that was Warthog and Wildebeest.

It was time to start getting organised for our trip home. The roof rack that had caused problems had to go back on the roof of our car. Re-aligning all the bolts was a tricky job and we prayed it would stay in tact 100_3061until we got home.

We topped up our petrol tank, which was now getting a bit low, with the extra fuel we had brought with us. Now, with 3/4 of a tank of fuel we should get home, but definitely would make it to Rakops, the closest garage at about 90 km away.

Our supplies had worked out well, water was still fine and we were even going take about 20 liters home. I wish there had been a place where we could have poured it into for the birds and animals.

Ribs was on the menu for dinner and Tristan wasn’t amused by me throwing all my bones around his tent.

The wind picked up and blew a gale. It was unbelievable, we have never experienced anything this strong, how our camp stayed together I do not know.

Central Kalahari Game Reserve

Finale tomorrow…


About PeteMorrie

Marketing Consultant
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

5 Responses to Into the Bush: Part 7

  1. Howard says:

    Gee, I thought you were going to say it was a scorpion.. haha. Great stuff, just love it.

  2. PeteMorrie says:

    Thought you might after your incidence at Khamaga

  3. Rina says:

    Nou wat Nou ? We thought “It is never hot in Botswana?” (Your words Pete???? ha ha ha)

  4. Pingback: All the best for 2014 | Pete & Sue's Botswana

We would love to hear from you so please leave a comment. DONT FORGET YOUR NAME

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s